Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good Night, Noughties.

I read an interesting question today. "Are you happier about the end of this year of the beginning of a new one?"

As I was applying my eyeliner to head out to a New Year's party tonight, it hit me that the infamous Y2K was 10 years ago tonight. It seems like a lifetime ago. I was at a party at a farmhouse with my fellow Chili's coworkers, and I had just started dating the very first of what seemed an endless string of...losers. He was a full-fledged alcoholic of 27, and I was barely 20 and didn't quite have my drinking legs yet. I think I had one glass of champagne. Was that really 10 years ago?



Fast forward to tonight, and back to the question at hand. I'm happier about the beginning of the new year. I resolve to stop dwelling in the past. There are a lot of broken things there that can never be fixed. I want to start paying attention to what I've learned from my mistakes and using that knowledge to move forward. This year already looks bright and shiny, more so than any other year I can remember. Maybe that's because I'm going into it with a different outlook. Or any real outlook at all. I'm not focused on losing 10 pounds or getting A's in whatever program or getting a job or buying whatever thing...2010 will be focused inward and, consequently, onward.

No comments: